Curlew Country is the UK Lowland Curlew Recovery project, operating in the Shropshire Hills and Welsh Marches. We work together with local farmers, landowners and communities to deliver real results for Curlew. We are now looking for a dedicated volunteer to join our team for the next season, to help and learn with us.
Curlew Country aims –
- To recover the nationally significant curlew population in the Shropshire Hills and Welsh Marches, increasing range with funding and to meet demand.
- Establish a sustainable lowland curlew population in the medium to long term.
- Work with partners to establish a strategy for UK Curlew Recovery.
- Establish a workable model for every farmer with curlew on their land, to achieve breeding success.
Pioneers of Curlew Headstarting.
Based near the Stiperstones in South Shropshire.
Duration April to end of July.
This is a unique opportunity to work with a pioneering project during the Curlew Headstarting Season. Gain first-hand avicultural experience and get the opportunity to see these amazing birds up close.
You will assist, and receive training from, the Curlew Country team and partners in the following areas:
- Identifying Curlew territories and nest finding with members of the team;
- Nest protection using electric fencing in the field;
- Avicultural skills including; Egg collection, incubation, monitoring and recording, egg and chick development, chick welfare;
- Release pen construction;
- Contributing to Social media and attending public meetings;
- Volunteer liaison.
If interested please send a CV and covering letter to email@example.com